Archive for the ‘Medical’ Category

Telehealth Adoption Could Save $4.2 Billion Annually

March 4, 2008
Wow…no wonder this sector is getting so much media and investor attention!

Here is the link: http://www.citl.org/research/PtoP_Telehealth.htm

The study examined the overall value of three telehealth technology systems: store-and-forward, real-time video, and a hybrid model that combining the first two. The analysis looks at the cost-benefit of using telehealth technologies in four healthcare settings including:

Reducing emergency department transfers
Reducing transfers from correctional facilities to emergency departments and physician offices
Reducing transfers from nursing home facilities to emergency departments and physician offices
Replacing in-person consults with virtual consults
Reducing redundant and unnecessary laboratory tests

CITL projects the hybrid model to be the most cost-effective system of the three technologies. By reducing face-to-face visits and redundant and unnecessary tests alone, the hybrid system can save $3.61 billion annually. In addition, of the 142 million referral visits in the United States each year, a reduction in patient travel from mileage costs alone could save $912 million. Nationally implemented hybrid systems could save $4.28 billion annually.

November 20, 2007 | Unregistered Commenterkraftdinner
Advertisements

Snoring and Sleep Apnea

March 4, 2008
Snoring and sleep apnea are all too common sleep disorders which carry serious medical and social consequences. It is estimated that 30-60% of the adult population over the age of 30 years suffers from “problematic” snoring, with 4-6% of this population being further complicated by obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). OSA is a serious condition in which patients experience partial or complete cessation of breathing during sleep, which leads to reduced blood oxygen levels, sleep fragmentation, excessive daytime sleepiness, heart disease and depression.

Despite its high prevalence and serious medical and social implications, many problematic snorers and OSA patients will not seek diagnosis and treatment of the condition. It is estimated that 2% of patients will seek advice/treatment through sleep specialists or dentists, with the remaining 98% simply ignoring symptoms or seeking over the counter remedies, which lack clinical efficacy and are generally regarded by the medical community as “snake oil”.

What do you do to treat your snoring or sleep apnea condition?

November 20, 2007 | Registered CommenterNancy Markley

ResverLogix Named 2008 WEF Tech Pioneer

March 4, 2008
I see ResverLogix has been placed on the World Economic Forum’s Accepted Technology Pioneers 2008 list . They are the only Canadian company on this year’s list.

This is quite a feat.

November 30, 2007 | Registered CommenterThe Startup Guy

RFID Helps Surgeons Keep Foreign Objects Out of Chest Cavities After Surgery

March 4, 2008
Ever came out of surgery and thought that the doctor may have left something behind before sewing you up? Well, I know I never have…but now with the help of RFID hopefully you won’t have to worry as much either…

http://advice.cio.com/al_sacco/rfid_helps_surgeons_keep_foreign_objects_out_of_chest_cavities_after_surgery?source=nlt_cioinsider

KD

January 10, 2008 | Unregistered Commenterkraftdinner